Everyone has been there. You are hired by a customer to install a beautiful hardscape in their commercial or residential space. The work has gone smoothly, the client is pleased, and now your business with them is done. But this does not have to be the case! We checked in with Dennis Garneau, Central’s Category Director for Hardscapes, to learn more.
As a former hardscape contractor that specialized in concrete paver installation, I never offered a maintenance package to my clients. I think most contractors are in the same boat and think they are too busy to offer a sealing service package after the install is complete. However, once you install that project you really can’t generate any long-term business with clients unless you offer them additional services. Plus, it will benefit the client’s patio or walkway for many years to come.
So, consider if you offered them a cleaning and sealing program every three years. This gives you more value for the homeowner to hire you over your competition. If a homeowner is going to hire you to install a project that could cost a few thousand to twenty thousand dollars, don’t you think they would want to deal with a company that can offer a package to help them maintain their investment for many years to come? I would recommend putting a package together that involves:
- Inspection of patio or walkway to make sure there are no loose pavers that need repaired
- Cleaning of pavers of any residue or dirt/grime
- Sealing pavers
There is also a new product from SRW this year SRW -PRX Paver Restore Extreme. This could be a great alternative to offer a customer who has an old patio that can’t afford to change all the existing pavers they have. The PRX Paver Restore Extreme offers:
- restoration of old paver surfaces and adds rich color with pigmented sealer
- color reviving technology makes old pavers look new again by evening out irregularities among older pavers
- adds protection with a high-gloss finish
- solvent-based sealer adds long lasting durability even in x-treme conditions
- residential or commercial applications
- use on new pavers to enhance and prolong coloring and uniformity of the paver surface.
So what’s the benefits of sealing pavers?
- Reduces moss growth
- Deters ants and other insects
- Prevents loss of sand in joints
- Helps repel oil, grease, grime and stains
- Easier routine cleaning
- Inhibits weeds and grass in joints
- Helps repel oil, grease, grime and stains
- Enhances color, texture and brightness
- Provides UV Protection
- Resists the effects of harsh weather conditions
- Provides protection from salt damage
All of our Central Branches offer High Quality SRW Products and our Subject Matter Experts are here to assist you in discovering valuable information on many different sealers for all concrete applications. You can also reach me directly to help put a plan together that will work for you and your business. Additionally, SRW has installation instructions and videos on all their products online at srwproducts.com. Below is the instructions I like to use.
Finally, rely on Central to help, whether its hardscape solutions, advanced installation techniques, help with offering maintenance agreements, or sharing insight and recommendations on the newest technologies or design styles. We stay at the leading edge of the industry and we’re ready to help you grow!
Dennis Garneau has 25 years’ experience in hardscaping installation from commercial applications to residential design/build projects. He is ICPI Certified and works closely with vendors on new training and technical installation techniques. Before working for Central, Dennis owned and operated his own landscape construction company for 18 years so he is well versed in the day-to-day operations of contractor as well as the best ways to strategically upselling projects. Rely on him for any of your hardscape and outdoor living needs.
- Wait 28 days after installing polymeric sand before sealing.
- Thoroughly sweep surface of joint sand or loose material.
- Spot clean if needed with one of these SRW cleaning products:
- CDX = Cleaner & Degreaser X-treme for oil and grease spots
- RE = Rust Eliminator for rust and mineral removal
- Prepare all pavers with one of these SRW cleaning products:
- EF = for Efflorescence removal
- PW = Paver Wash for general cleaning & polyhaze removal.
- After cleaning, wait at least 24 hours before sealing. Surface and joints must be completely dry.
- Recommended application temperatures are 50°F-80°F (10°C-27°) from installation through the cure process.
- Do not apply if inclement weather is forecasted within 24 hours
- STIR THOROUGHLY
- Apply with an SRW Products approved Slit Foam Roller and sprayer.
- Spray then back roll. This prevents an uneven finish. A 2-person application is recommended.
- Always spray against a wet edge and do not overlap a previously sealed and dried area.
- Start at the highest project elevation
- Do not allow sealer to pool on pavers or in joints.
- Repeat if desired.
- Allow sealed area to dry and cure 24 hours.
- Protect area from water and rain until dry.
- Dry-tack free: 25 minutes
- Foot traffic: 24 hours
- Vehicle traffic: 72 hours
Note all calculations based on 68°F-77°F (20°C-25°C)