Winterization season is here… are you fully prepared? Irrigation system winterization and blow outs are already a big portion of your end-of-season work, but are you also winterizing your customers’ pumps?
An irrigation pump is a substantial investment, and one that homeowners and businesses are interested in preserving. Since you are already onsite for winterization and blowouts, offering a pump winterization service just makes sense for your seasonal offerings. It’s low cost for you and a smart solution for your customers. Better yet, this valuable practice creates additional revenue for you—while making sure your customers’ pumps are properly maintained for longevity. An easy add-on service for additional profits.
With a few simple steps, pump winterization is a breeze. However, correctly winterizing a pump is essential – if a step is missed, the pump can sustain damage due to freezing, costing you valuable time and money. Whether this is your first time winterizing a pump, or your fifth, these 6 easy steps will help walk you through the winterization process and will leave you feeling confident that your customer’s pump will be protected all winter long!
- STEP ONE: Turn off the lawn controller and source water valve – break the suction vacuum.
- STEP TWO: If feasible, disconnect the water source and discharge piping.
- STEP THREE: On the pump case, open both top and bottom drain valves to remove water from the pump chambers.
- STEP FOUR: If blowing out your irrigation system with pressurized air, use a narrow box wrench to prevent the shaft from spinning. When the impeller spins too fast, the motor governor can be damaged.
- STEP FIVE: Once the water is drained from pump case, close all drain valves.
- STEP SIX: Fill the pump case just past the eye of the impeller with Munro Freeze Defeat pump winterization fluid. This will keep cast iron pump cases from rusting and keep the impeller free for spring start-up. Note: Freeze Defeat is sold as a concentrate. For best results, please follow mix instructions on the Freeze Defeat bottle.
For a more efficient and smooth pump winterization, use Munro Freeze Defeat pump winterization fluid – Munro Freeze Defeat prevents damage due to freezing, helps protect pumps from corrosion, and ensures longevity by minimizing rust on the inside of the pump.
And to make winterization even easier, our partner, Munro, has a “Centrifugal Pump Maintenance: Winterization” video that will help walk you through the process step-by-step. Watch it below:
If you have questions about the winterization process, or need help with troubleshooting, call the experts at the Central Pump Hotline: 1-844-PUMP-101
The Central Pump Hotline is dedicated to assisting customers with set-up, sizing, and product recommendations. We will help you troubleshooting leaks, pressure issues wire connects, and more. We’ll help you solve issues with the motor, voltage, control panel, and valves.
We understand that not all issues with a system are straight forward. Rely on Central to help, whether it’s questions about troubleshooting or installation, showing you how to use specific equipment, or sharing insight and recommendations on the newest technologies. We stay at the leading edge of the industry and we’re ready to help you grow!